From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:04:55 -0400
Speaking only for myself, one's PC is an extension of the desk and its
contents are as private as what's kept in that desk.  No supervisor should
be snooping around in an employee's desk except in an emergency.  Any
supervisor browsing through the files on an employee's PC, I'd say, has too
little to do or there wouldn't be time.

And yes, it's a good idea to erase all the games from a PC when it's
installed.  They just take up hard disk space.

As to what an employee produces on the PC, and whose property it becomes, I
wonder what policy exists for things produced by other employees
(illustrations ,crafts, reproductions, whatever).   If it is the
organization's policy that these become its property, then so be it with
computer work.  If you're a state agency, then there is probably a state
policy regarding intellectual property.

Trusting the employee works best.  If in this case it's a state agency, then
trust isn't enough to satisfy the bureaucracy.  If it's not, build trust
into the system by encouraging creativity -- and by making sure one's PC is
not "the enemy."

Ross Weeks Jr.
Tazewell Va