From:
"Morehouse, Rebecca" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:33:38 -0400
Hi Kae-

The use of clear nail polish isn't really a good idea for labeling
archaeological artifacts.  While some believe that the clear nail polish you
can now buy is probably better than that used say ten years ago,
(particularly the hypo-allergenic kinds), it still has the potential to have
unknown and potentially damaging additives.  The best method we have come up
with is a base coat of 10% B-72 in acetone and a top coat of either 25% B-72
in acetone or 20% Akron P-90 or B-67 in mineral spirits.  I prefer the B-72
as both top and bottom coat because acetone is less toxic than mineral
spirits and it also dries more quickly.

You can order 25% B-72 premixed in small bottles from archival supplies like
University Products.  We mix our own solutions.  If you are equipped to do
this it is much more cost effective.

Becky Morehouse
Curator, Maryland State Highway Administration
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
10515 Mackall Road
St. Leonard, MD 20685
410-586-8583
410-586-3643 (fax)