From:
Michelle Boardman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:27:01 PST
Dear Carrie:

I have hung numerous costume pieces from ceilings with good results
including diaphanous sari from India.  Usually the mount, whether it is a
cardboard tube or wooden rod, has (in either case) been painted to prevent
offgasing and covered with volara or fabric and is hung with copper wire.
Wire can be obtained in various thicknesses depending upon the weight of
your garments and ends up looking quite elegant even if it is of a heavy
gage.  We have in some cases also inpainted the wire if we were concerned
about glare.  Sometimes I have only located air flow within a particular
gallery, unfortunately, during an installation.  However in the case of the
sari we hung (with copper wire) a grid made of wood from the light track in
the ceiling and laid an extremely thin sheet of plexi over the grid (which
was inpainted to match the ceiling).  The sari were then hung over covered
wooden rods that were hung from the grid with clear fishing line (even
inpainting would not work in this case).  The plexi prevented air flow from
reaching the sari.  Hope this is helpful!!  Best of luck.

Michelle Boardman
The Kate Fowler Merle-Smith Curator of Textiles
Allentown Art Museum
31 N. 5th Street
Allentown, PA 18101
610-432-4333, ext. 24