From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:15:49 -0400
In my experience with dozens of museums of all sizes and types, the premier
graduates are those from the Winterthur Program in Early American Culture
(degree through University of Delaware).  These graduates seem able to find
jobs in museums when others can not.  I would imagine that this is due
partly to the program's reputation, partly to the small class size (10
students per year) generating extreme competition for admission, and partly
because so many graduates are already out there working in museums (going on
50 years of training), and thus influence hiring decisions.  Ironically, the
program is not truly a museum studies program, but rather a decorative arts
history program.  Never-the-less, it seems to open more doors than any other
program.

The Cooperstown Graduate Program (degree through SUNY Oneonta) is also a
long-standing museum studies program with numerous graduates in museum
positions.  It self-claims to be the premier museum studies program in the
country, but based upon my personal experience, graduates are not quite up
to the level of the Winterthur program.  In the earlier years, it was only a
1-year program (it is now 2-years), and this may have hurt the performance
of the graduates, and therefore reduced the program's reputation.

There are certainly many other programs, but these are the two that stand
out for me based upon my 30 years in the museum world.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)