From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:06:58 -0600
Gail,

The appraisal must be made "no earlier than 60 days before the contribution
is made". It applies to non-cash charitable contributions of certain types,
clearly described in the instructions for IRS form 8283. (freely available
on line, and critical that we all read and understand). Art valued at more
than $20,000 must have the appraisal attached to the form at the time of
filing. Lesser donations do not need to have the appraisal attached, but
must be provided upon request by the IRS. My reading indicates that
individual donations valued collectively at less than $500 do not need an
appraisal. Individual or groups of items valued at more than $500 should.

We have had multiple conversations about when the contribution is
officially made. There was no consensus other than pick a time that works
for you and your system, make it policy, and be consistent.

Enjoy.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             "Anderson, Gail
             K." <[log in to unmask]>
             Sent by: Museum                                            To
             discussion list           [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]                                          cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>
                                                                   Subject
                                       60 day limit on Appraisals
             03/17/2004 03:44
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hello.  Does anyone have information on the 60 day limit for appraisals on
contributions to museums?  I don't think I have ever heard of this but for
the second time in a month someone has told us that their accountant said
the appraisal must take place within 60 days of the gift.

I thank you in advance.

Gail Kana Anderson
Assistant Director
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art