From:
Christa McCay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:38:33 -0500
Yes the FMLA is contingent on the size of the company unfortunately
the number is at least 50 not 15, which rules out most museums and
similar institutions unless you are a part of a university.  I had my
baby last April.  I was able to take 6 weeks off and get paid for 2,
which were my vacation days and sick leave.  I was fortunate enough to
have a husband that was able to use FMLA and get 4 weeks paid.
Anyway, it is a tough situation to be pregnant and in the museum
field.  Often times we have to sacrafice one for the other.  Luckily
for me it isn't very often.  But we shouldn't have to sacrafice.  It
will be a long time before we see any changes nationally but at least
you can start making changes for your institution.

Christa McCay, M.H.P.
Registrar
Marietta Museum of History
1 Depot Street, Suite 200