From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:30:52 -0600
    I believe that Ware Petznick has an excellent point, in that personal
connections to museum exhibits do make them memorable. Some artifacts have
the power to touch more people's memories than others. A number of years ago
my wife and I were visiting the Musee de l'Armee in Paris. In the section
devoted to World War I there was a series of glass cases containing examples
of the gorgeous dress uniforms of all of the Allied armies. At the end of
the row was a much smaller case holding a blue French officer's coat which
was completely caked with mud. The label simply said "The Mud of Verdun."
Now I have no personal connection with the Battle of Verdun, in whch 400,000
French soldiers were killed or wounded, but clearly many of the other
visitors who were there that day did because they had tears on their cheeks
as they gazed at this case. It is absolutely the most moving exhibit I have
ever seen in a museum.

     I also think that exhibits can stimulate memory. When my mother was in
her early 90s she visited me in Washington and I took her to the National
Museum of American History, where I was working. We were in the
Transportation Hall looking at the rows of 19th-century horse-drawn vehicles
and she suddenly started telling me about her visits to her uncles' Texas
ranches in the early 1900s. She went into great detail about the types of
horsedrawn vehicles they had, naming specific body types - hacks, buggies,
surreys, buckboards - as well as the names and colors of the horses that
pulled them. She had often described these girlhood visits to me before, but
she had never mentioned ranch vehicles or horses. I can only conclude that
these memories were activated by the exhibits we were looking at.

     Your project sounds fascinating and I hope that you will post your
conclusions.

Sincerely,

Lonn Taylor
Fort Davis,