From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:38:39 -0500
I would suggest you read the article again.  Yes, it is brief.  But seven
separate musems are cited specifically, and another passage refers to "all
of our other informants," indicating many more participated.  Knowing the
authors personally, I am certain they would not have published something
that was not sound.

Given that every exhibit is unique, every museum is unique, "ballpark" is
all your ever going to get.  These figures are always presented as estimates
or ranges; your mileage may vary.  Nevertheless, it is an extremely useful
measurement.  Knowing even roughly how much exhibit you'll be able to afford
lets you know whether you are in the ballpark at all, and if so, in the
bleachers or the box seats.

No one expects a single number to hold "across the sector."  Indeed, the
original inquiry listed several specifics (as noted in my reply).  These
will either add to or subtract from that original figure, allowing you to
refine your budget, or your dreams, accordingly.  But you do need to start
from somewhere.

Every museum I have ever worked for has relied on cost per square foot.
Every time I have discussed exhibit projects with colleagues at other
institutions, it is one of the first things people want to know, followed by
the specifics which helps put the raw number in context.  I know of several
museums that have found the Exhibitionist article quite helpful in their
planning.

Eugene Dillenburg
Exhibit Developer
Science Museum of Minnesota

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:42:34 -0500, L Dewey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A point of clarification. That short Exhibitionist article is brief to
>the point of useless, based on one main example ('a large state
>museum') and some ball-park numbers for other types of facilities.
>
>The concept of 'cost per square foot' is not a very sound framework for
>estimating budgets across the sector. It could only make sense within a
>narrower organizational framework (e.g. a consistent mission,
>collection basis, programming intent, outreach, resources, etc.) But if
>those were all known, one probably would not need to ball-park an
>estimate based on square feet, either.
>
>Many of the factors to overall cost are regionally distinctive
>subordinate costs, as well. For example, in the US, materials costs in
>Hawaii are much greater than in Seattle.
>
>L.D.
>

>On Mar 26, 2005, at 12:02 AM, MUSEUM-L automatic digest system wrote:
>
>> Date:    Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:49:01 -0500
>> From:    Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: Exhibit budgets
>>
>> Actually, NAME's journal, the Exhibitionist, ran a short article on
>> exhibit
>> costs in the Spring 2002 issue.  Prices were quoted on a square-foot
>> basis.
>>  Estimates ranged widely, as different types of exhibits have different
>> needs.  (Interactives and AV add to costs.)
>>
>> It's hard to do a top-notch artifact-based exhibit for under $200-$250
>> per
>> square foot.  You're planning to save money by reusing the furniture,
>> but
>> you'll turn around and spend it on the AV.
>>
>> The issue of the Exhibitionist can be ordered at www.n-a-m-e.org.
>>
>> Eugene Dillenburg
>> Exhibit Developer
>> Science Museum of Minnesota