From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:27:03 -0600
My museum is planning to move into a brand-new facility in 2005, and
right now the new building's steering committee is looking at
environmental control systems.  Because of the dryness of our area
(sun-baked south-eastern Alberta, where cacti are growing out back of
the museum), to hit the old "magic numbers" of 50% RH at 21°C (70°F) is
going to require an astronomically expensive environmental control
system.  This presents a problem!

Given that the Smithsonian's Conservation Analytical Laboratory
announced in 1994 that deviation up to 15% RH and 10°C from these "magic
numbers" shows minimal effects on artifacts (providing that RH and temp.
levels are more-or-less constant, rather than wildly fluctuating), and
that work of the Canadian Conservation Institute from the mid- to
late-90s supports these findings, I'm asking list members what their
current views/institutional policies are regarding RH and temp.
controls.  I'm particularly interested in hearing from other museums
that are in dry areas, and have to deal with considerable change in
outdoor temp. from winter to summer (it's trying to bring -30°C winter
air at 60% RH up to 21°C and still maintaining 50% RH that's killing
us!)

Cheers,

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587