From:
Laura Dickstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:58:20 -0400
I am currently conducting research about mission statements and would
appreciate responses to any or all of the following questions.  You may
respond annonomously, on-list or off-list.

1.  How important is your museum's mission statement to what you do on an
everyday basis?

2.  In your estimation, does your museum's mission statement accurately
reflect the actual practices of your institution? If yes, how?  If no, why
not?

3.  Does your mission statement get translated in different ways by
different departments, or do you feel because of it, your staff is on the
same page?

4.  Do you think your public considers your mission statement or is aware
of it in the first place?  How do you think your public knows what your
goals are?

5.  Has your mission statement changed over the years, or from the one
written by the museum's founders?  Has this change in mission affected the
way in which you interpret?  Do you think new audiences have been
encouraged to attend, and do they?

I know these are lengthy questions that require some thought.  If you would
rather that I speak to you in person, please feel free to e-mail me your
name, phone number, and name of institution.

Thanks for your help.

Laura J. Dickstein