From:
jerry symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:03:47 -0000
Dear Marianne,

This sounds more like a debate on museum income allocation than on marketing
resource allocation per se.

Any marketing/advertising executive will advise you that there is no point
in hyping up a poor product: if you can't deliver on what your promise then
you will do more harm advertising than not advertising at all...so I would
definitely counsel against sacrificing valuable dollars on exhibition
quality and pumping it into ad spend instead as you'll then lose both ways!

Evaluating the effectiveness of advertising in the museum/heritage sector is
really hard: my best advice to you is that IF you conduct any market
research, to include questions on how the visitors polled got to know about
the exhibition: if free press pulls in more visitors than paid advertising,
then that's giving you a steer - or vice versa! If NEITHER free nor paid
advertising appear to have much effect on attendance then you might consider
either (a) improving the quality of the advertising or (b) spending the
money more wisely on the build of your exhibition! If the quality is good,
then the message will get around by good old "word of mouth" and that costs
nothing and is pretty darn effective!

Good luck!

Regards,

Jerry Symonds