Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:09:28 -0700
Mr. Smith,

We have 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hour tours (2 hours sometimes...) through our open storage collection.  As it is not a gallery with an exhibit, we do not allow the public into the area without a guide.  We offer these public tours every Friday at 2pm, and we limit the group size to 12-15 people, and they must call to make a reservation.  We charge $15 per person for these tours (free for members, $5 for their guests).  We also will schedule special tours at other times for private groups that wish to see the collection, usually for tour groups traveling through the southwest.  They are charged $20 per person.   Our yearly attendance is around 1300 people.  Most tours are given by our docents, and we don't differentiate between senior or regular, as they all go through the same training program, but sometimes staff members are requested, and we will accomodate the group if we can.  Also, we may choose a specific docent for a group, depending on their focus of interest.

I hope this is somewhat helpful, although I couldn't compare to "regular" attendance.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Deborah Winton
School of American Research, IARC
Santa Fe, NM

>>> "Smith, Gregory (PEB)" <[log in to unmask]> 03/13/02 07:02AM >>>
Greetings,
        We are exploring the possibility of developing a more in-depth or behind-the-scenes tour for Olana, one of our State Historic Sites.  We are aware that at least a few other museums have tried these kinds of tours, so we are attempting gather some information before developing our own.  If your museum or site offers this kind of enhanced tour, we would greatly appreciate your feedback to the following questions.
*       How frequently are in-depth tours offered?
*       How long are the in-depth tours?
*       What is the group size limit?
*       What is your regular admission charge? your in-depth tour charge?
*       What is your total site annual attendance? your in-depth tour attendance?
*       Who gives the in-depth tours (eg. senior docent, regular docent, curator)?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Gregory Smith, Historic Preservation Program Analyst
New York State Bureau of Historic Sites, Peebles Island
Waterford, New York 12188
(518) 237-8647 ext. 3224