From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:47:38 -0400
Tim,
Thanks for the voice of experience.
N. Burlakoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf
Of Tim Atherton
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 9:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Iraq looting - Military Police v. Civilian Police

> So in summary, please don't think that because the military
> police are a police
> force, they are the same as a civilian police force. They have different
> protocols and work in different environments.
>
> Deb

Deb, Sorry this is OT

Having had a career as a Military Policeman I can tell you that you are a
certain degree off mark on this - they have frequently been used "in support
of the civil powers" in a full support role, and in places such as the
former Yugoslavia have often formed the backbone of the interim police force
(as well as investigations into war crimes) before the civil police are able
to be re-formed. In many cases they also have more riot and civil
disturbance control training and experience than many civil police forces.

In fact more of my career was spent in this way than in "normal" garrison or
base policing.

Providing a police presence in the aftermath of conflict is something they
have carried out since the days of WWII to the present. I know for a fact
the British Military Police are doing this in their area of operations in
southern Iraq already, along with regular soldiers. It is in fact very much
a part of their role whether US or British.

tim

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).