From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:47:52 -0700
Gosh, these sorts of self-help postings on objects runs in pairs!

I have many years experience in conserving literally hundreds of
historic firearms and tools.

Try vacuuaming first using a soft natural bristle bush to sweep the
dust into the nozzle. Don't just wipe down with a rag because dust can
be highly abrasive and will scratch surfaces.

If there is any sort of stain or finish to the wood try a little bit
of mineral spirits on a Q-tip in an out of the way spot. If that
doesn't blemish the wood then it can be used on stuff like firearms
and furniture. But if the wood is painted that's a whole other thing,
and it takes solvent testing to determine what is safe.

Stay away from "oiling" wood and stay away from using water.

Often using a good wax like Antiquewax or Rennaisance wax on a
finished surface will pick up dirt and also provide a nice protective
coating when buffed out.

None of the above applied to unfinished or rough and dry wooden
handles on tools, such as agricultural tools, for example. Those can
be problematic and may require solvent testing to find the best
approach to removing or lessening the soiling and grime without
discoloring the wood.

It is also important to preserve the wear and evidence of use in
historic wooden objects so to do less is often the best approach.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator