From:
Rosalynn MacKenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:40:03 -0500
Just to clarify my initial query to the listserv....

The desks that are is question are used 3 days a week by grade 3 students
for a full day in the life program.  they eat lunch at these desks as well.

Any suggestions as to safe cleaning solutions is much appreciated.

Rosalynn MacKenzie
Collections Assistant
Heritage Schoolhouse
Museum, Archives and Living History Site
York Region District School Board
2 Valleywood Drive
Markham, Ontario
L3R 8H3
(905) 470 6119

>From: David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Disinfecting artifacts
>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:11:55 -0500
>
>I would suggest caution when thinking of using water based cleaning
>solutions on wooden artifacts such as desks - water can raise the grain and
>if it collects into any seams or cracks it can lead to some dimensional
>change. Many wooden artifacts were assembled using hide glues that are
>water sensitive. There is also the issue of clearance to remove any
>residues from the wood. And we never-ever "wash" 100 year old or even 50
>year old wooden artifacts in conservation. If an aqueous cleaning is to be
>done it is used only minimally with barely dampened cotton swabs. In most
>cases furniture and/or unpainted wooden artifacts can safely be cleaned
>using mineral spirits / stoddard solvent. But even that can remove some
>finishes - so most furniture conservators I know would only recommend
>testing it on a q-tip in a very unobtrusive area first - if you raise any
>color whatsoever don't do it!
>
>I would like to ask why germs are of such concern on historical objects
>such as desks?
>
>Does the public handle these 100 year old desks?
>
>If it is a public health concern I would thnk that germs would be much more
>of a concern in bathrooms, sinks, kitchen or eating areas, etc. And if you
>are concerned about visitors picking up germs from the desks or anything
>else in your collections simply ask them to wash their hands thoroughly
>after their tour and before eating.
>
>I think it's a much more serious concern where you have old flaking paints
>in historic sites and outdoor metalwork where the old lead paints are still
>evident.
>
>Cheers!
>Dave
>
>David Harvey
>Conservator
>Los Angeles, California USA

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology
first two months FREE*.