From:
"Arthur H. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:57:58 -0600

and Stephen Nowlin wrote:

>I'd be interested in hearing other responses to this ON-list.  The
>Williamson Gallery site was designed in-house by me, as a continuing labor
>of love -- so not too much expense.

Our model fits Stephen's quite closely.  Pages for both the Laboratory for
Environmental Biology (<http://www.utep.edu/leb>) and the Centennial Museum
(<http://www.utep.edu/museum>) were designed (and, after some experience,
redesigned) and implemented by myself (with suggestions by others)--as a
labor of like, if not love.  Almost all were done directly in HTML.  The
main disadvantage to the approach is that time will stretch only so far, so
projects tend to get stretched way out.  Whether you want to try it yourself
also may depend on how important it is to you to be on the "cutting
edge"--many of us in small institutions are stretched too thin to keep up
with and learn the latest glory tools and so must make do with the basics.

Art Harris