From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:42:15 -0500
I attended the Institute of Fine Arts (NYU) for grad work in art history and
found this to be true as well.  The students there tended to keep to their
own specialties and small set of instructors and didn't mix very much.  The
instructors had a great deal of influence over what the students pursued.  I
found it a stimulating academic challenge and loved living in NYC, but
ultimately did not pursue a Ph.D. there because it felt too confining.  I
loved my advisor and main professor, but unfortunately he is deceased now.
All the faculty there are top-notch in their fields--there isn't a weak
department.

Very expensive to live in NYC on a grad student income, however.  A big
consideration.  Also, the undergrad art history dept does not mine the grad
school for teaching assistance like a big state university might do. At
least, they didn't do it when I was there in the '80s.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator and
Project Manager, Art Program, New Indianapolis Airport
Blackburn Architects
3388 Founders Rd
Indianapolis, IN  46268
317.875.5500 x230