From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:59:30 -0400
And to be fair, phenolic resin panels are also made by Folia
<www.folia.ca>.

I've used panels fabridated by all three companies. In the end, I have been
equally happy and frustrated by the process, regardless of vendor. Color
matching can be an issue and something to really keep tabs on. In terms of
color stability and sign longevity, I've been very happy with all three
firms. Lead time can be long--count on at least 6 weeks-- more if the
colors aren't as expected and the panels need to be remade.

Other options include porcelain enamel, a beautiful sign material that
reproduces graphics very well, shows a high resistance to fading, rust,
mildew, moisture, oxidation, salt spray, and fire, high resolution graphic
reproduction (some vendors), and a variety of surface treatments such as
smooth or “orange peel” ripple effects with a semi-matte to a glossy
finish. Disadvantages include high cost and susceptibility to chipping and
scratching. Vendors include: Enameltec of Ontario, Canada
<www.pgbell.com/index.html> and Winsor Fireform <www.winsorgraphics.com>

Fiberglass imbedment signs are also made by GS Images of Hagerstown, MD
<www.gsimages.com>

One lower cost alternative might be an inkjet print made with outdoor
stable inks such as 3M® Scotchprint® graphics. These can be adhered to
outdoor substrates like expanded PVC (Sintra®). These panels can be a lower
cost alternative to phenolic resin or fiberglass embedment panels but will
not last as long. They work well for short term outdoor sign needs. Some
vendors are now printing directly to a substrate.

Regards,

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation & Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum
4100 Illinois Route 53
Lisle IL 60532
630.719.2461 (v)
630.719.2433 (f)
www.mortonarb.org
InTREEguing TreeHouses runs through September 26!!

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:31:32 EDT, Chris Musello <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Apologies to anyone following this thread - I think I sent along the wrong
>website for Pannier corporation - the fiberglass embeddment sign company.
Their