From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:23:24 -0800
A note about this thread.  Since a volume of the more
senior members of this list only pick up their email
at work, there will be no mentoring posts on the
weekends. I'm trying to give each of the candidates
the best possible opportunity to make a match.

This is the third in our series.  It's another well
put together that requires precious little effort by
me.  I'm leaving in the anecdotal information because
I think it shows a little about what a fun person
Sharon appears to be.  Wouldn't your life be enhanced
by helping someone who could lighten your day by
making YOU laugh?

TYPE OF MENTOR SOUGHT:
Someone with an architecture background, particularly
as it relates to historic buildings, that can help her
learn the subtle nuances of the profession.

EMAIL SHARON AT:

SHARON BUFORD

Although I appreciate the "young person", I am not. At
35, I went back to school to do what I had wanted to
do for along time, Historic Preservation. I took the
"hard road", getting my BS in Architecture, which a an
"old woman" was not an easy task.

But I felt (at the time and still do) that although
someone with a background in history can understand
the "language" of the history of the building, to
really understand a building and make good decisions
concerning its restoration, renovation, and
conservation you MUST know how and why the building
works. This is not to say that there is not room for
other disciplines in the field, or that they cannot do
a good job, it says, that is what my choice was.

My area of discipline?  Undergrad degree in
Architectural Studies with a minor in history, it
included 9 hours in museum studies, and 9 hours of
american history classes.

Grad level - I have 15 hours from Murray State
University in their Public History Program, 3 were a
survey class (Civil War), 3 - Hollywood History (don't
laugh - it was tough!), and 9 hours of museum studies
classes.

Hopefully over the next couple years I will complete
the additional 9 hours and write my Thesis (what will
I do with 2 Master's Degrees?).

Due to my husband being transferred to Lexington, KY -
I just started at Univ of KY's Architecture School,
they offered a Master's of Historic Preservation.

So what do I want to do? Save old buildings - remember
Pinky and the Brain? well Pinky sets at a toy drafting
table in my dining room/ office, and reminds me that I
want to "take over the world of Historic Preservation"
:) - Seriously, I want to do many things.

Ideally I would love to work at a "Historic House
Museum" from the ground up and do not only the
Preservation but also working with the interpretation
of the building - how, why it was built - buildings
tell us many stories if we just listen - it isn't just
about who lived there - why was it built when/where it
was, who designed it, who built it, why was it built
as it was? The list goes on,

I would also enjoy working at a state or nonprofit
level doing lesson plans for school children, so they
can begin to appreciate the "built enviroment" that is
all around them.

I just finished a project where I did a "historic
walking tour" of Murray Kentucky's commerical area, it
was alot of fun - I got to do my drawings (which I
love) and also research (which I love). It is yet to
be seen what will happen with it, but am hoping for
"publication"

I would love to find a mentor - Let's see - 6'2, blond
hair, blue eyes, "six pack" --- ;),wait the hubby says
4'2', old, and balding, ;) no really, I would enjoy
finding someone who could help me through the
"tangled" web.

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try: