From:
Lisa Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 10:07:06 -0600
For those of you worried about on-line image copyright, I suggest you contact
the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) who have been struggling
with this issue for a couple of years now.  And, yes, there is a watermark that
can be added to images so that they can not be used without authorization (at
least this works on CDs).  ASMP can be contacted at 14 Washington Rd., suite
502, Princeton Junction, NJ 08550  ph: 609-799-8300

This leads me to a pet peeve of my own.  Why is it in Museum News the
photographs are never given a credit line?  Someone, some photographer/artist,
composed and shot that image (even if it is of another person's art work or an
object) and that person should be acknowledged.  Would you print a photograph
of a painting by Diego Rivera without acknowledging it as his work?  The
photographer that shot that piece deserves his credit line too.  The only time
I've seen a photo credit included in Museum News is when the photo is
considered the "art" object.  Credit lines are usually even omitted when it is
a picture of a gallery hall or event.  As a freelance photographer (and museum
professional) I know that all my invoices/contracts state that a credit line
must run along side with my photograph (no matter the subject).  So lets give
credit where it is due, especially in a magazine that represents presenters
and interpreters of culture, technology, science and art.

Lisa Falk (formerly a staff member at SI, now at UNM)