From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:41:35 -0500
I spoke with my administrator about this one because it is an interesting case as far as semantics and rules are considered.  He said, that because you had thrown the items in the trash, the docent could take them and do whatever he wanted to with them.  However, the problem is that he donated them in your institution's name.  My administrator said that you should probably contact the museum who received the items and inform them of the situation.  At best he can only donate those papers as a private individual and not on behalf of your museum.  Hopefully, it will only mean that the paperwork has to be changed.

Meredith Dunham
Curatorial Assistant

Virginia Beach Historic Houses
3131 Virginia Beach Blvd.