From:
Jim Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 17:58:14 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Diane Gutenkauf
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>On 1/23 Patricia Reynolds wrote:
>
>>This is going to be rather un-technical, as I can't remember what they are
>called.  We took one of the big, >blue lights (the kind of lights you see in
>delis and butchers) out of the stores, where they attract and fry >flies, and
>into the staff-room, where the wasps were. This makes a most horrible noise
for
>a minute or >so as the wasp is electricuted.
>
>This type of treatment doesn't address the root of the problem ... Great,
>you've killed a wasp but you've failed to address how they are entering the
>facility to begin with. You have also failed to deal with the "fall out" of
the
>zapper. What is happening to all those lovely carcasses? Are they providing
food
>for other insects?...

On the bright side, if you save all the zapped insect carcasses in the freezer,
you can use them in your winter bird feeder as "treats" for your feathered
visitors!

Jim Robertson
Kerry Wood Nature Centre
Alberta (3rd week of -35 to -40 temperatures -- brrrr!)