From:
Richard Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 15:31:00 -0500
----------
I have followed with interest the discussion on databases in the museum
environment but have a somewhat more down to earth request.  I am looking for
information on roofing with sod.  I am the director of an historically accurate
(almost) reconstruction of a 19th century American trade fort built (illegally)
on Canadian soil.  Named Ft. Hamilton after one of the partners, it soon became
known as Fort Whoop-Up because of the traders illicit use of alcohol to "fuel"
the trade.  The fort was serviced from Fort Benton Montana.  The original fort
had a sod roof.  Our modern fort has ashpalt composite shingle over timber.  We
would like to add a sod roof and are looking for information on how to go about
it.  Our maintenance people, of course, are concerned about water runoff and
rot.  Others worry about fire or the durability of sod.  I am more concerned
about the historic integrity of the site and acquiring the right sod, the proper
thickness and so-on. I am sure it is not just a matter of going to the local sod
farm and buying so many meters of lawm sod.  Can anyone point me to some sources
of information on using sod for roofing, or better yet is there any direct
experience, out there of modern use of sod roofs.  I have come across only one
modern reference to using sod, and that is in Norway which I have not had any
success in tracking down.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  We really
would like to grow some grass overhead.

Thank you

Richard Shockley  RNET([log in to unmask])  (403)329-0444
Director
P.O. Box 1074
Lethbridge AB Canada
T1J 4A2