From:
Rachel Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 09:39:27 -0500
> I explained all the reasons we don't do long-term loans, and the president
said, "You're
> just thinking up reasons to make trouble, none of that will happen."

Ack!  Your board president couldn't have been more wrong.  We have quite a
number of items in our collection that were lent to us in the 1930s on "long
term loan."  We've had the responsiblity of caring for these objects during
all these years, and not only are they not ours, but we have no idea who the
heirs are and when they might decide to show up and reclaim their
inheritance.  We were sweating it out just last year when a descendant began
calling to inquire after a loan made by her mother many years ago.  She was
interested in moving the items to another museum, and while the objects had
been in poor condition when they were lent, we were afraid that the heir
might blame us for the condition.  Fortunately, she had to cancel her
meeting with us and hasn't called back since.

To make a long story short (too late), your president was wrong.  It very
well can happen.