From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:26:50 -0500
Hi Merri:

If only this issue was so easily seen as an "either-or."  But it's not.
People agree sometimes, disagree other times.

To generalize about New Yorkers (i.e., "the deep hurt and pain that many
New Yorkers would feel from experiencing this artwork") oversimplifies
their emotional capabilities.  Are you suggesting there is no middle
ground of confusion - that people either are hurt/pain or are
cold/callous?  Thankfully, people are more complicated than polar
("either-or") thinking.

That some can see beauty in this sculpture does not mean they consider
the tragedy to have been "good."  Perhaps they recognize death and
tragedy as a part of life . . . part of a linear or cyclical process.
If others are disturbed by the sculpture, let them turn away.  Better
yet, let them turn toward something that inspires feeling in them.  But
do not deny those for whom the sculpture is a touching memorial.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)   342-2376 (fax)

"You can’t lock up art in a vault and keep it frozen for posterity. Then
the artist is betrayed, history is betrayed."
(Walter Persegati)