From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:25:29 -0700
At 11:37 AM 6/5/98 -0700, Annalisa Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>I found that even though hiring organizations list Qualifications
>at BA and only a few years experience, they are hiring people with Masters
>degrees and many years of experience.

This is a subject that surfaces on museum-l every year, at about this time.
You might want to search the archives for some of the responses. (You will
probably find hundreds -- mostly complaints about the way things are.) The
archives are at: <http://home.dc.lsoft.com/archives/museum-l.html>.

Basically, what Annalisa said is true, and has been the case for the
sixteen years I have worked in the field. There are far more qualified
candidates than there are jobs. Pay is low, especially compared to the
schooling and/or experience required. If you are not in this business
because you *REALLY* want to work in museums, you should probably find
another career.

Since you already work in the field, I would suggest you concentrate on
building your network of colleagues. Attend regional and national meetings.
Share your expertise with other institutions, especially those that are
smaller than yours. Seek out mentors, who can help you meet others and
teach you about skill needed for moving up. Volunteer for committees or
boards of local professional organizations. (I made some great connections
by volunteering as secretary of the Non-Profit Gallery Association, back
when I was curating an art gallery.) As you build your network, let people
know that you are looking for advancement. The more people who know you and
value your work, the better chance you have at that job, when it becomes
available.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Grants and Research Manager                  (408) 279-7178
The Tech Museum of Innovation                (408) 918-0253 fax
145 West San Carlos Street                    [log in to unmask]
San Jose, California  95113                   http://www.thetech.org