From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:26:46 -0700
While I read the article, I have mixed viewpoints on the whole quilt dilemma.

Quilts have traditionally fallen into the "folk art" category - practical
everyday items that have been decordated in some fashion. There are plenty of
folk art museums and even quilt museums out there that do a great job of
interpreting the artistic and practical nature of these objects.

As someone mentioned, quilts have a historical value often times telling a
family history or giving directions to people on the underground railroad.
Sharyn McCrumb did quilt research for her book "The Rosewood Casket" in which a
quilt plays a central part in the story. She said that some traditional quilt
patterns can be traced all the way back to pre-Celtic rock art and symbols.
Looking at quilts in a historical context, they are perfectly appropriate for
museums of history and culture.

And there is a growing population of fiber artists that work with quilts. These
quilts aren't meant to keep you warm at night but to be framed and hung on
display. Here folk art makes the transition from the practical to art for the
sake of art. I think these quilts are extirely appropriate for art museums that
do not have folk art collections.

But at the risk of starting another flame war, I do not like that traditional
folk art quilts belong in traditional art museums so the Wall Street journal
writer is correct in some sense (even though she did sound really snippy and
contrite). These museums would not consider an exhibit of early American butter
presses or carved rocking chairs any more than a folk art museum would consider
hosting an exhibit on Pollock.

So unless an art museum is willing to expand the scope of its collections or
exhibits to include folk art and not just the occasional quilt show, then I
have to agree that traditional folk art quilts do not belong in such museums
any more than modern art belongs in a folk art museum.

As an example, several years ago, the National Air and Space Museum hosted the
Star Wars exhibit. It was clearly a pop-culture, science-fiction exhibit that
had nothing to do with real science. While it was a cool exhibit, I thought
that it was entirely inappropriate for NASM because it was out of the scope of
the museum. On the other hand, it would have fit in great at the National
Museum of American History as they do have a pop-culture collection. (Not
trying to start another flame war here. :)

Deb