From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 14:46:08 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your free webzine and museum compendium read
weekly by 6,000+ readers in more than 106 countries .
***   Best Museum Professionals Site, Museums & the Web 2004   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Hawaiian groups to demonstrate at Bishop Museum
The Hawaiian groups allege that the museum improperly is holding 100 human
remains and is trying to reclaim remains and funerary items reburied at the
Big Island's Kawaihae cave

**  Museum fumes make students ill
A group of students and chaperones fell ill Thursday after inhaling toxic
fumes while visiting the National Gallery of Art

**  Museum hosts Warplane Dedication
The ceremony commemorates the newest displays in the museum's Air Park - a
Hawker Hurricane Mk J and Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX acquired from the
Canadian Fighter Pilots Association by the museum

**  Restored lion's head is museum's mane attraction
Two halves of a rare terracotta lion's head dating from 5BC have been
reunited thanks to a Swiss art collector after spending centuries apart

**  Dumpy, Waxy, Poisonous and Jumpy, Frogs Invade a Museum
If fairy tales are windows into the secret heart of our culture, the one
about the prince and the frog should worry us all

**  Historic Cow Shed moved to Museum of Welsh Life
It might not be a mighty castle, stately home or a once-thriving factory,
but this small, white, minimalist cow byre from Waunfawr offers a very real
connection to the traditional way of life in the shadow of Snowdon

Planning on Travelling? Business or Pleasure?
* GLOBAL MUSEUM TRAVEL - For Business and Pleasure - the  leading provider
of online museum travel, established in 1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Discounts up to 65% off. Rooms for
sold-out dates. Group Reservations.
CLICK HERE      http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/trav204/index.htm
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  London blaze destroys scores of Brit Art pieces
Art collector Charles Saatchi, whose controversial exhibition at the
Brooklyn Museum of Art in 1999 raised the fury of then-Mayor Rudolph
Giuliani, lost about 100 iconic works of contemporary British art in a
warehouse fire late Monday

**  Hair tells the whole story, say scientists
"Your hair tells what you eat, where you live, your lifestyle and habits,"
said Emma Freeman from London's Natural History Museum

**  American Revolution history - by cell phone
Strolling on ground where Minutemen and British regulars once skirmished,
visitors to Minute Man National Historical Park no longer have to depend on
the occasional mounted sign

**  Detroit Museum Gambles on Lynching Exhibit
Will people flock to an exhibit that examines the lynching and terrorism
aimed at black people during one of the most disturbing periods in American
history?

**  Sleek, comfy, but who has time to lounge?
The Museum of Fine Arts has some ornate examples, with curlicued lines and
bright silk upholstery, that date from around 1800

**  APOLLO 9 module arrives at Aerospace Museum
The Apollo 9 Command Module arrived safely at its new home at the San Diego
Aerospace Museum

**  Phoenix Art Museum given $3M gift
The gift from the Dorrance Family Foundation, heirs to the Campbell Soup
fortune, includes $2 million for the design and construction of a secured
outdoor sculpture court

**  Horse Museum opens in Tehran
Various equestrian devices such as ancient chariots of Qajar era, saddles,
stirrups, taxidermized horse heads & objects decorated with images of horses
will be showcased

**  Abu Ghraib destruction dismissed
Mahmud Othman, said that he wanted the prison to be turned into a museum to
the crimes that took place there under former president Saddam Hussein's
regime and US guards

**  London Gay Museum?
The leading candidates to be Mayor of London have all pledged to open a
Lesbian and Gay Museum in the city

**  Michelangelo's 'David' emerges from 8-month bath
"An invisible cleaning," Antonio Paolucci, the superintendent of Florentine
art, said reassuringly, "like washing the face of a child."

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Virgo: (Aug. 23-Sept. 22): The discovery of long-lost aviatrix Amelia
Earhart will leave you with a hell of a lot of explaining to do

**  Berlin Nazi Crimes Museum Hits New Snag
New bids will be invited for the design of the Topography of Terror museum
on the site of the former Gestapo headquarters because the original plan has
become too expensive

**  This Week's GLOBAL MUSEUM CAPTION CONTEST

**  The Mysteries of Venus: Exploring Our "Sister Planet."

**  "STEMS: Science Teaching Enhanced with Museums and Surveys"

**  Spettacoli - Letters, narratives and chamber music

**  Archaeology For All - Take Part In National Archaeology Days

**   Subsistence and Technological Change in the Eastern Woodlands

**  World Heritage in Korea

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their RESUMES,
FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services, Classical Music store, and a Jazz Emporium.
http://www.globalmuseum.org    First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

What our readers say:

**  Thanks for all the good work!  I read the Global News section each week,
and have my museum studies students do so as well
Web feedback survey

**  Thank you for this service. What did we do before this? I recommend this
site to students as part of their internship training with us
Web feedback survey  USA

**  I love global museum and appreciate the service.  It keeps me, a curator
in a small local museum, in touch with the international museum world
Web feedback survey   Australia