From:
Andrew Cougill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:05:56 -0500
I think it is perfectly fair to not allow free group tours on free days.

  Your policy can reflect that all tours regardless of date will be
charged X amount per person due to the extra staff requirements and
expense to the museum. Quality educational programming is expensive,
field trip fees help cover those expenses and allow you to sustain
your programming. We provide a reduced rate to school/educational
groups and they are quite content with that.

   A tour is an additional service provided by the museum and goes
above and beyond the standard "free" museum admission. If the group
doesn't want a tour, but just wants to come to the museum, it's handy
to have a written policy that expresses all groups of X number or more
must be scheduled ahead of time. Like most places you can have
blackout dates which include those free days. This reduces crowding
and competition amongst groups for a "free" time-slot.

Just my thoughts,

Andy Cougill
Grissom Air Museum
Peru, Indiana