From:
Lauren Lantos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 11:28:54 -0400
On Wed, 28 Sep 1994, Lisa Falk wrote:

> This leads me to a pet peeve of my own.  Why is it in Museum News the
> photographs are never given a credit line?  Someone, some photographer/artist,
> composed and shot that image (even if it is of another person's art work or an
> object) and that person should be acknowledged.  Would you print a photograph
> of a painting by Diego Rivera without acknowledging it as his work?  The
> photographer that shot that piece deserves his credit line too.  The only time
> I've seen a photo credit included in Museum News is when the photo is
> considered the "art" object.  Credit lines are usually even omitted when it is
> a picture of a gallery hall or event.  As a freelance photographer (and museum
> professional) I know that all my invoices/contracts state that a credit line
> must run along side with my photograph (no matter the subject).  So lets give
> credit where it is due, especially in a magazine that represents presenters
> and interpreters of culture, technology, science and art.
>
> Lisa Falk (formerly a staff member at SI, now at UNM)

Lisa,
Our photo credits have appeared on the back page for as long as I have
been working on Museum News. This is something John Strand and the rest of
our staff have discussed changing for several months, and your e-mail
message might have given us the incentive to do so. We, as editors, would
never consider putting author bylines on the back page of the magazine,
and I agree with you that photographers should not be given credits on
this page either. The policy probably started because many museums give us
images and are unable to identify a photographer, but thanks for pointing
out the problem. We intend to fix it soon.

Regards,
Lauren Lantos
Associate Editor
Museum News