From:
"Ball, Bailey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:13:41 -0500
Hi Ashley,

I noticed that your internship experience was completed at the Smithsonian. Many of my colleagues and I also interned and volunteered at the Smithsonian at one point in our careers. It is an incredibly popular place for internships. It is a great institution to gain experience, however when it comes to employment, the Smithsonian literally has a world of applicants to choose from. Therefore, the institution tends to value full-time work experience. Most employees of SI have honed their skills and gotten years of experience within another institution before making the move to the highly competitive government jobs at the Smithsonian. Basically the timing of a job opening would have to be perfect and you'd have to beat out thousands of applicants who have years of experience at the full-time level.

While I'm sure you've done a great job at the internships you've completed, SI is a tough place to have the opportunity to begin your career. I would recommend volunteering or interning at smaller/non-profit museums, who tend to be more quick to hire from within and evaluate their volunteers and interns when full-time positions open up. Non-profits and private institutions also have the advantage of some flexibility in regards to their positions and job titles. Therefore, if you exhibit some skills that a certain department needs and would like to have full time, and a staff member in another department leaves a position where another employee could take over most of their responsibilities, the museum would have the option of maneuvering the budget to create a full-time position for you with whatever appropriate title the department deems relevant, and perhaps shift the other position to part-time. The government has very strictly defined positions with pre-determined pay grades, so this is often not an option.

I hope this makes sense!

Best,

Bailey