From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:39:06 -0800
Pam,

In current thought the use of poisons, especially when dealing with
rodents or small mamals, is usually the measure of final resort.

Other approaches would be to survey the building and block any
potential and real areas of entry, to eliminate any potential food
sources or any other attractors, to clear shubbery or other plant
areas that could be used for nesting of for lairs, and to even use
predators, such as cats or dogs, to scare away or hunt down the
problem animals. If your traps are not working then perhaps you should
get more profesional advice and/or equipment that could be more
successful.

Poisons are indiscriminate and can harm a wider variety of living
things (including visitors) and then you always have the issue of
having a poisoned animal, lets say a mouse, dying behind a wall or
some other inaccessible spot.

I would even consider relocting the more sensitive collections items
to another building before I would go the route of employing poisons.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator