From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:07:53 -0700
When the call comes to lend a hand in the Gulf to help
your colleagues restore their institutions, I suspect
many of the museums won't be able to send their staff
members.  Looking at the ratio of staff to museums,
combined with the low salaries, makes me think it's
probably impractical.

But time and again you've talked about the volunteers
that staff your institutions.  Often, they've become
quite savvy.  In some instances, they are folks who
can afford to not to have to work and may have more
money.

Maybe in the collective or through AAM, you could
compile a listing of volunteers who could, would, and
should go to the Gulf to lend a hand.  You might ask
them now if they're interested, and nominate those
best qualified to help, putting those names in a
database that could be tapped when needed.

This may be a little "pie in the sky."  I'm not sure.
But it could also be a little proactive and a great
way to help.

CAVEAT:  I know the volunteers aren't as technically
qualified as are you (in most instances), but they
could be the much-needed spare hands it's going to
take to save our nation's treasures.

Indigo Nights