From:
Barbara Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:13:21 -0800
Well, Jane, I believe the subject being discussed (whether or not it
had something to do with the topic) was HOW (and WHY, I suppose)
museums present art works.  Some seem to believe that museums are
"presenters"- present the information in a clear and non-partisan way
and let the viewer digest it as he/she will.  And others believe that
museums are "educators"- institutions that are responsible for
assisting the viewer with digestion of works.  (Art for art sake vs.
art in context???)

This discussion has come up again and again in my art and art history
classes, but from a professional standpoint I am wondering which stance
is more "popular" (for lack of a better word) among museums and museum
staff.  And of course anyone is welcome to jump in here.  What are the
pros and cons of each stance?  Are these opinions shifting as we draw
near to the close of the 20th century?

Curious,

Barbara