From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 20:24:54 -0400

>--OYXPSOIWGFVRGLNbQOXcKKDXPNWOWD
>Date:    Thu, 20 May 2004 09:43:58 -0400
>From:    "Jeremy T. Chrabascz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Reproducing Historic Books
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for reproducing historic books (from the
>18th Century) for a historic site?  We are opening an 18th Century law
>office and, obviously, books are critical.  We do not wish to use original
>materials, however.  Look and feel is extremely important, obviously.  The
>visitor will be able to get a fairly close view of them.  Any guidance
>would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Regards,
>
>Jeremy T. Chrabascz, Indiana State Museum & Historic Sites

Are you reproducing contents or covers?
You could have a handbinder do up a bunch of books using cloth covers
and cloth with just leather on the spine and corners. You could use
blank textblocks or simply recase dummy textblocks if you're not
reproducing the content.
You can find binders via the Book Arts Web site:
http://www.philobiblon.com (I think that's the right address).
Or see if any living history museums have any binding work done as
part of their interpretation (I've been wondering this myself).

---Amy