From:
"REYNOLDS, Trevor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 21:24:07 +0000
We often have objects which we have to care for, but which we don't want to accession for one reason or another.  Maybe because we know they are going to be re-attached to a building after restoration works have been completed or because we have to wait until a research project has been completed before we can make the decision which objects we will accession.  For these cases we allocate numbers to the items and add them to our collections management system so that we can manage their locations in storage etc. but we make sure that the computer and paper documentation is marked "unaccessioned object".

If you are not sure at the moment whether you will accession the capsule or not them this could be a suitable approach.

On the other hand if the decision has already been made that you will accession the case when it is opened then I seen no reason why you should not accession it now and then open it in the future.  It was always intended to be opened so I don't see that you will be damaging its integrity.  At least no more than say removing yellowed varnish from an oil painting.

Trevor Reynolds, Registrar
English Heritage, 37 Tanner Row, York, YO1 6WP
+44 (0) 1904 601905