From:
Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:11:34 -0400
My experience with locations has been that a gift shop should always be
positioned in a transitional space so that visitors are encouraged to stop on
their way in or out. From a strictly mercantile point of view, it encourages
spending. From a more institutional perspective, provided your gift shop has
quality merchandize, it creates a nice image.

Should shops have an educational potential? I personnaly believe so. For
example, we sell local crafts, victorian reproductions but also a vast array
of reference books ont the victorian period, local history and antiques.
Depending on your institution's mission and policies, you might even entertain
the notion of selling antiques - as long as they are not pieces you would have
acquired for your museum's collection.  We've been doing it for a bit over a
year with surprizing success.

Hervé Gagnon, Ph.D.
Director-Curator
Colby-Curtis Museum