From:
George Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 08:48:59 -0700
Instead of hollow doors, you might consider pegboard sheets fastened on
both sides of 1"x2" lumber. It's not the most attractive of displays,
but it is inexpensive, easy to construct, can be hinged or attached to
each other with ease and provide for easy hanging and rearrangement of
pictures. A coat of paint helps make it look more attractive.

If there is a need to make the displays movable, you can make a 24"x48"
base out of 2"x4" lumber, screw four casters on the bottom at the four
corners and mount two 4'x8' pegboard panels underframed with 1x2 lumber
on one side only, similar to what's described above, in an "A" frame
configuration with the 4' sides attached to the base with hinges and
the two panels screwed together at the top.

The setup makes an easily movable, 8 foot tall (plus the casters) by 4
foot wide, double sided display with a 2 foot x 4 foot footprint, which
also provides a good amount of storage under the "teepee". Once
painted, it can be quite presentable, the only consideration which it
would fail is the test of outgassing, but then so would the solution
with the doors.

If you need an photo or illustration, contact me off list.

George Schwartz

 wrote:

> You can use contemporary hollow-core doors hinged together for a
> similar
> effect as #2; it's lighter and more portable.  However, be aware that
> nailing into hollow-core doors doesn't always work depending upon the
> door surface--you will have to experiment a little.  Also, if the
> hanging works are heavy, you have to use an alternative solution like
> lightweight molly bolts instead of the nails and the standard bulldog
> hangers, and you have to think about designing the installation so
> that
> heavy things don't topple the arrangement of doors.
>

> Julia Muney Moore
> Public Art Administrator
> Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN
> (317) 875-5500 x230

ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml