From:
Wendy Claire Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:45:33 -0500
Lynn:

There are a lot of shelving vendors out there who are creative, competent,
work nationally, provide high-quality equipment, and are willing to develop
systems that meet the needs of your collections.  I certainly don't even
pretend to know them all.  Here are a few with whom we've have worked:

We've had good experience working with a vendor in Maryland (Don Logan of
Storage & Distribution Systems, 800-400-7500) in developing a completely
manual "movable aisle" storage system using InterMetro wire-mesh racking
(sometimes known as "bakers racks") on lockable casters.  This has helped to
maximize space utilization and facilitate access.  This application has been
used for documents in a variety of archival boxes and housings as well as
for artifacts in storage mounts.

Other vendors include Linda Gottfried of Borroughs (866-666-0061) and Bruce
Danielson of Delta Designs (800-656-7426).

Knowing that you are in New Jersey, a client of mine in Newark works with a
company called "SpaceNow!": I have been very impressed with the equipment
and layouts they have done for this client.  I know that they are happy with
their service.  The phone number is 800-504-8585:  I got this from the
"SpaceNow! Corporation" website.

There are also the museum and/or library vendors who advertise in "Museum
News" and other museum and library periodicals.

I hope others will provide additional information about vendors they have
been happy working with.  It will be helpful for all of us.

Wendy Jessup

Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates Inc.
Care of Cultural Property