From:
Peter Vreeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:40:12 -0400
Ross,
Giddy Yap!
This horse is nearing the final stretch.
Haughtiness is not my speciality ,Geology is.
By "WE", I meant the professionals that I have come accustomed to work with
in my neck of the woods. It has always been my privilege to work with
people who usually  talk the talk and walk the walk.  I believe in being
loud and clear about something I take issue with.
I never meant to put down any part of the USA.  If you feel that I did I
apologize for the misunderstanding. I just objected to NYC bashing.  I have
traveled all over the US. I have found that along with its physical beauty
it is it's diversity of people that make it even more beautiful and more
unique.
I don't know if your in a big city, sprawling suburb, or one horse town.
Some people neglect to include a signature with their postings. You know
where I am.  I don't know where you are.
I very rarely wear a suit. I'm in the education department at AMNH. If I do
wear a suit it is usually at a funders meeting, funeral or a wedding.
Suits, I have notice instill a feeling of them and us.  I don't agree with
that view, but I know it exists. As I type this response I'm wearing shorts
and a T-shirt with a big dinosaur printed on it. I don't look good in white
smocks. I can not afford Armani on a museum educators salary. I do get a
25% discount at the museum store.
You're (thanks David) right, AMNH is a fine Museum with over 125 years of
tradition.
AMNH is far from perfect. Things can always get better. We are not The
United States national museum of natural history. AMNH is trying to respond
to the needs of the rest of the US via the Interenet and the Natiional
Center for Science Literacy and Education Technology.
Everyone should want to visit NYC it's a wonderful place ( if you ignore
the present mayor).
I'll apologize again if that will help.
I have been to London and all I can say is when you step off of a curb look
right.
Things don't necessarily cost more in NYC.  I got your two cents worth. You
got my two cents worth. No extra charge.
Pete
AKA The Thought Police

P.S. Ross you have the word crab in your email address. That's funny.

>I hope this is a dead horse.  Michael's remark was aimed, I would like to
>believe, not at any ethnic group but at employers who "hint" at an ethnic
>preference in posting their vacancies.
>
>Now, as to Mr. Vreeland's commentary, a REAL problem in the museum field is
>the haughtiness that certain professionals have demonstrated.
>
>"WE don't tolerate....."  Who, Mr. Vreeland, is "we?"  Does "we"  refer to
>those who have positions in the major museums in the large cities?  Does it
>mean professionals who work in New York City?  Does it mean the ones who
>think they need the white smocks and Armani suits to "play the role?"
>
>The American Museum of Natural History is a fine museum, I am sure, and I
>have enjoyed visiting it.   I hope someone will let us know when it begins
>to live up to its name "American," because currently its service is limited
>to those who want to visit New York City.
>
>There is much more to be learned out in America's grassroots than Mr.
>Vreeland might imagine.   Like London, New York City is no longer where all
>the important things happen.  It is just a place where everything costs
>more.

Peter J. Vreeland                               Phone:  (212) 769-5183
Department of Education
American Museum of Natural History              Fax:    (212) 769-5329

Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024-5192 ,USA                    E-Mail:[log in to unmask]