From:
Jenny Rosenzweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:57:36 -0500
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

"The Relevancy-Driven Museum"
Upstate History Alliance/Museum Association of New York
Annual Conference
April 13-15, 2008
Albany Marriott
Albany, New York
The relevancy-driven museum focuses its mission and goals on the
creation of impactful audience experiences that act as a catalyst for
connection to larger societal issues.  Whether it involves the
preservation of built or natural environments, tolerance for diverse
people and cultures, or advancement of the realm of science,
technology and society, the relevancy-driven museum’s learning and
teaching experiences embrace the roles of human connection and
societal activism.

We are currently seeking proposals for conference sessions that
discuss or explore aspects related to our theme of "The Relevancy-
Drive Museum."  We are interested in creating a provocative and
diverse program for this conference, and welcome proposals from
museums of every discipline, as well as from all areas within
institutions -- collections, exhibitions, education/outreach,
development, administration, governance.

Sessions could address any of the following questions:

* What role can museums play in shaping sustainable communities?
* How can activist missions make museums more accessible?
* How can museums collaborate with other agencies to best serve
changing lifestyles and community demographics?
* What programmatic or organizational models help museums offer
substantive perspectives on contemporary issues?

While we welcome standard presentation/panel format session
proposals, we hope you will explore using other formats such as
roundtable discussions, debates, or critiques. Sessions can be
practical or theoretical in nature. We encourage you to present
different or opposing approaches/solutions to an issue in the same
session. In developing a session with multiple presenters, we
strongly urge you to partner with representatives from various museum
disciplines.

Submitting a Proposal

The deadline for session proposals is November 30, 2007. Proposals
must be submitted electronically to [log in to unmask] Visit
www.upstatehistory.org/services/conferences/proposal.html to download
the session proposal form as a Microsoft Word document or as a PDF
file. The UHA/MANY program committee will review proposals and
decisions will be made by early January 2008. We also welcome general
comments or suggestions for topics you would like to see covered at
the conference.

Questions?

If you have any questions or are looking for assistance with
developing a proposal, contact UHA program coordinator Jenny
Rosenzweig at 800.895.1648, [log in to unmask] or MANY director
Anne Ackerson at 518.273.3400, [log in to unmask]

About the UHA/MANY Annual Conference

The UHA/MANY Annual Conference is the largest gathering of museum
professionals in New York State. Each year it brings together a
diverse array of individuals from all types and sizes of museums,
historical societies, and similar cultural organizations.