From:
Susan Fatemi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 09:40:08 PST
1: Re: the fired historian. People keep asking why she included the KKK
with the Nazis. Because the KKK is ANTI-SEMITIC!!
I only read about the story in the paper, but I got the impression that
she herself was not necessarily a right-winger, but maybe had gone too
far in seeking a "balanced viewpoint".  But I would think it would be
instructive to hear the rationale of the perpetrators of the Holocaust,
if only to keep a watch for the same type of thought/language creeping
into contemporary demagoguery. (this has been expressed better by others
on the list, sorry)  Like the slave-auctions at Wmsburg, sometimes
the horror is in the banality of the assumptions.
I found a beautiful old book in a used book sale at Berkeley (it had been
in the library)  But the text (I forget the author) was by an American
pseudo-anthropologist back in the days when anthro. was into measuring
skulls, etc.  It carefully organized people into "races" and talked
about cranial capacity, etc, and was exactly the sort of thing that the
Nazis used as a basis for their purification programs. But if no one
reads it, because it isn't PC, they will be unprepared when someone
starts preaching this rubbish again, perhaps in a different guise.

2: for people interested in the Kobe eq., if you can get to our gopher,
my boss is adding information as she gets it.
the address is gopher nisee.CE.berkeley.edu
i hope that's right--I'm not good at this myself, and the computer I
work on doesn't have any fancy stuff. (as you can tell by my typing, I
can't even edit)

Susan Fatemi
EERC Library