From:
Edward Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:40:12 -0500
Regarding Eugene W. Dillenburg's comments/questions:

>Does our audience
>have the "right" to know what goes on behind the scenes?  A "need" to know?
>A desire to know?  Have other museums tackled these issues before?  Has any
>museum attempted this sort of self-explanation in exhibits or programs; and
>if so, what were the results?

Our shipyard facility, the Henry B. DuPont Preservation Shipyard, was
constructed in the early 1970's largely so that we could conduct our own
preservation work on the _Charles W. Morgan_, a 1841 whale ship.  That ship
was on the liftdock (basically an elevator rated at 300 tons that goes
under water, an essential component of the Shipyard) for close to three
years during its major restoration in the 70's.

One of our three largest vessels is on the liftdock at this time (November)
each year for triennial bottom maintenance.  The _Morgan_ is there now,
will be refloated on 10 December.  Even on the liftdock, it is open to our
visitors although they do have to be able to walk up a 50' stairway.
Viewing that ship from keel level is quite an experience when one is used
to seeing it floating next to a wharf.  Viewing the river from the deck,
when the deck is an extra 50' up in the air is likewise a unique
experience.

From the beginning, the entire Shipyard facility was designed to be a part
of the visitors' experience.  It is an integral part of our 17 acre
waterfront museum, and although we call the people who work there
shipwrights, caulkers and boat keepers instead of "curators" we clearly
want people to know that it is the work of this museum to keep those
vessels in condition to be exhibited in the context for which they were
built - afloat.

We have interpreters stationed there to explain why we need our own sawmill
(one can't go to just any lumberyard and buy a 40' stick), how the 80' spar
lathe works, what are those guys doing down there on the main shop floor.
From the visitors' gallery one is at deck level if a boat is in the main
bay.  This facility clearly makes us different from any other "living
history" museum, and unique amongst maritime history museums as well.

Admitedly our situation is different from that of most museums.  However,
when I give a tour of Mystic Seaport I like to say that museums, especially
history museums, exist for two reasons, to save things and to educate
people as to why those things should be saved.  I'm always on my way to the
shipyard when I say this for there it is easy to see how we go about doing
the work of saving things.

Edward

Edward Baker
Supervisor of Interpretation