From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:03:03 -0500
I have been a series of writing projects with high school students, based
loosely on Edmund Burke Feldman's method of looking at art. (visual
inventory, analysis of composition, art history, critical analysis).
These writing projects have been used as the writing samples for the art
student's portfolios.   We use similar projects for high school social
studies, language arts and humanities classes.

The premise is to put the students in "real life" situations that would
force them to write about the art.  E.g. newspaper art critique picking or
panning a work of art, curator at an auction buying a work for the
collection and writing a report for the acquisitions committee, or curator
saving one work of art during a tornado and justifying his/her choice to
the director.

If you are interested in more information, I have a handout on these
projects, which I just presented at the MPMA annual meeting.

Kathrine Walker Schlageck
Education and Public Programs
Beach Museum of Art
Kansas State University