From:
David Wexler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:36:13 -0700
Fenton jeffery wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
> I am on the Board of Directors of a small Community Museum in rural, Prince
> Edward Island.  We have a good collection of artifacts and photographs
> depicting the history of our community, as well as an extensive genealogy
> section.
>
> Now to the help part :-))  We are attempting to computerize the catalogue
> of our collections, and are trying to identify a suitable software product
> to accomplish this.  Can anyone on the group suggest a suitable "Museum
> Database" product (i.e. name of program, where it is available, etc.) for
> this purpose.  We would like to be able to cross-reference our records and
> do useful searching.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  THANKS
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might try directing this question to David Bearman (are you lurking
on this list David?)  Together with Belinda Wright, David compiled an
extensive directory of software for archives and museums.

"Archives and Museum Information Systems: State of the Market,
1992", in Belinda Wright and David Bearman, compilers, 1992-93 Directory
of
Software for Archives & Museums (Pittsburgh, Archives & Museums
Informatics) pp.i-iii

It is now six years old, and out of date, and out of print, but if you
could get ahold of a copy, any vendor still in business today would have
somehow proven themselves and their product to the test of time.  No
small feat in the software game.

You can reach David Bearman at his company Archives & Museum Informatics
2008 Murray Ave., Suite D Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA
emailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.archimuse.com/

Best of luck,

--
David Wexler, Pres,  HOLLYWOOD VAULTS Inc
Preservation-Quality Storage

Museum-L" (without the quotes).