From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:18:01 -0600
We include our exhibit props in our teaching collection.  We include all
items that could be mistaken as anything beyond a piece of exhibit furniture
(plexi, etc) in our teaching collection.  We have saddle blankets,
reproduction holsters, dishes, pens, etc in our teaching collection.  They
are marked using a similar method to our permanent collection with a special
letter designation (X2005.1.1, etc) and logged into an excel file that notes
who gave us the item, when it was acquired if known, and where it is
currently located.  Items such as mannequins, hat stands (unless they appear
historic), and other similar items are not included.  Our policy is, if it
might be mistaken, then it is marked.

One variation that we do have is our reproduction firearms.  They are
actually placed in our permanent collection but are allowed to be handled by
both staff and visitors in limited controlled situations.    This policy is
because (1) the reproductions are very expensive and sometimes hard to
replace and (2) they are usually operational so we want to control their use
and handling.

We have been considering adding these items to our collections database as a
way to provide more accessibility to the list of teaching collection objects
found in the museum, but nothing has been decided.  All of our teaching
collection objects that are generally historic in nature (not very many) are
items that have no clear provenance and duplicate objects within our
collection.  Our teaching objects can be use for exhibits, education
programming or staff presentations.  They are stored in a special area of
our storage room and are supervised by the collections/exhibit staff.

Hope this helps
Tracie