From:
Wendy Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:28:38 -0500
One of my clients (a private individual, not a museum) recently purchased a
late 19th century/early 20th century dress: wool with silk lining and lovely
cotton embroidery inserts.   Upon getting it home, she discovered lots of
critter damage (black carpet beetle -- Attagenus megatoma) which is why she
called me.  I looked at it, found the wool and embroidery pretty stabile
(except where the critters had munched it), but the silk lining is completely
shattered.  We discussed her several options for repair and stabilization --
she can't afford, and is not interested in having complete museum-quality
conservation treatment.  We did discuss having an accurate reproduction of
the dress made re-using those portions that are in good condition (ie. some
of the woolen panels and all of the embroidery).

Can anyone refer me to someone,  preferably several people so that my client
can talk to several folks, in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area who can
make this reproduction?  Thanks.

Wendy Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.