Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:48:48 +0100
Flag ritual among the Nacirema?  --  to choose the raising of a
flag as a symbol of the heroism of a fire department  --  with
(for some of us) Iwo Jima in the background?

Everybody loves a winner  -  which explains perhaps the choice of
the image of a flag-raising (from one of probably millions of
pictures taken);  the all-important "argument" of a photograph
(reality!),  even if changed and rearranged to satisfy some
(obviously/probably well-meaning) feeling (or interests,  I don't
really want to know).  Daniel J. Boorstin warned us about that
(The Image or What happened to the American Dream? New York
1961).

My feeling:  the people from NYFD merit something more personal
or more specific,  something which would not automatically be
interpreted as political correctness but as a symbol of (for
instance) whole-hearted gratitude for personal gallantry in (a
civil) service.

This would just take a really good artist (and a committee able
to recognize him/her as just that  --  one entry on the long list
of oldest problems in the world).

Christof Wolters