From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:23:00 -0700
Matt says,

>One issue I would like to raise that I have not seen raised yet though
>hinted at.  Most people who have internet access have simple dial in
>connections with text readers only and cannot even get simple graphics let
>alone Macromind Director Multimedia (A program that goes for over a
>thousand dollars on the Macintosh platform,  exactly how many museums do we
>expect to use this feature? See my earlier diatribe on technology for poor
>museums)  If we create a Web page or series of pages that utilize features
>that are only available to a few and "look like crap" to others, what does
>that say about us as educators?  Don't you think people who have limited
>resources would also like to learn about why the Museum

I find this all kind of amusing.  I invite everyone to take a look at our
homepage.  I think it's pretty good.  Outside of my time, it hasn't cost
the museum more than about $100.00.  Apple computer generously donated 5
computers, Adobe donated Premiere, and Illustrator.  Macromind donated
Director.  Two framegrabber cards were donated.  The University of Southern
California has generously provided our staff with free eMail accounts and
web space. Netscape has donated their server software (which is available
free to any non-profit). All it took was a few telephone calls.  In other
words, 'poor' museums have nearly as much access to the technology as
'rich' museums.

Second, all the Netscape 1.1N enhancements are part of the HTML 2.0 and 3.0
specifications.  Other browsers will soon be using them too.

I'll admit that I don't go very far out of my way to make our www
presentations work well with text only browsers.  It may sound elitist, but
the WWW is a 'graphical' interface.  Gopher is a plain text interface.
However, I do make serious attempt to remain compatible with older www
browsers, which is why I am also working on a less complex version of the
DNA Lab slide show.

But the true reason that I'm using the latest Netscape
enhancements....because I can.  The technology is wonderful, and it is
exciting to be able to put together informative presentations with such
flexible tools.  One of my hobbies is carpentry.  I love building things.
I think I get the same feeling on the web.  I like put things together that
are rich in detail.

Both the hardware and the software are constantly changing.  If we want to
keep people coming to our web sites, we're all going to have to keep up
with the technology.

Jim

(Now I hope someone will give me their opinion on the DNA Lab slide show
draft.  Again, this version is for Netscape 1.1N or the equivalent.

http://www.usc.edu/lacmnh/departments/research/dnalab/slideshow)

Jim Angus

Molecular Systematics Laboratory/Web Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007
(213) 744-3317

http://cwis.usc.edu:80/lacmnh