From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:26:51 -0800
Ok, I need to be clear.  I don't hate Texas or Texans.

I just don't care much for an administration that left
California out to dry in the deregulation fiasco of a
year ago as it relates to our energy crisis because
Californians did not vote for the incumbent.  Since my
electric bills are now a minimum of 40% more than what
they were this time last year (and really more since
my $25-40 bill for one month--we truly conserve around
here so please don't tell me what a bargain that was;
I surf in the dark by light of computer and tv--went
to $88 for one month alone.  A two month bill is $158.
 It was cold, but that doesn't justify hanging out my
state and, had it been the home state, I truly believe
there would have been some economic relief).

So that's why I made the reference to Texas,
especially when there was so much hoopla early on
about the Great State of Texas while CA got punished
for its "lack of loyalty" to the incumbent and our
governor was then considered to be a potential
competitor in 2004 til the current regime helped to
emasculate him and the state with him for the same
reasons the GAO is now taking the VEEP to court.  I do
try to keep politics off list, but this time it was
way too much on something for which I feel quite
passionate.

You can argue deregulation all you want, and I hope
you don't, but just know I worked for one of the three
majors in California and long ago had Kenny Boy, the
airplane he flew the candidate from TX around in, and
the extortionary deeds that were pulled on the home
state I grew up in while I worked at the gas utility
when I could no longer tolerate seeing the electric
industry fall apart after a 24-year career.

I JUST got a phone call from someone in the Democratic
Party about the upcoming primaries, the candidates,
and a need for contributions.  We had a rather
interesting chat about this morning's dialogue and the
unfair way that Lizzetta (??) was treated.  They were
able to call me because my number's on the voter
records they pulled, which anybody can do for a small
fee.  All you gotta do is run for something.  Goodness
sakes, the several times I've campaigned for friends
or made phone calls for candidates has taught me that.

And young folks, if you don't want those calls, if
your state allows you NOT to put your phone number
down when you register to vote, do yourself a favor
and don't.

I'll finish my off-topic rant by saying that I
struggled to put money into my 401K (you've heard of
those, the Enron employees lost theirs) as my
get-out-of-California, move to Texas or Florida fund,
until Pater Bush put penalties into taking money for
the fund.

No, I don't dislike all the Bushes either.  My
daughter was privileged as a teen to be one of four in
SoCal selected to meet with Barbara and be interviewed
on TV. She found her very personable and quite
reasonable.  It was quite an honor.

And, as I told Lori off list, somewhere back on my
mother's father's side, we were run out of Texas for
being horse thieves and settled in New Mexico, where
my grandfather was born.

--- Maria Munoz-Blanco <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Folks, did we all have this same discussion 8 years
> ago when the former
> administration made its appointments to the NCA?
> These are POLITICAL
> appointments and thus POLITICS are involved. We may
> disagree with the process
> and whether politics has a place in the arts / the
> greater good, but the
> rules are what they are.
>
> I'll join Lori in standing up for Texas. I lived in
> Dallas for several years
> and can tell you that there is great artistic
> activity going on throughout
> Texas.
>
> María Muñoz-Blanco
> Deputy Director
> Fulton County Arts Council
> 141 Pryor St. SW, Suite 2030
> Atlanta, GA  30303
> (404) 730-5780
> Fax: (404) 730-5798
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>  "What is important is not what happens to us, but
> how we respond to what
> happens to us."
> Jean-Paul Sartre
>

> Visit the Fulton County Arts Council website at
> www.fultonarts.org.
>
> Opinions expressed in this message may not
> necessarily represent the policy
> of the Fulton County Arts Council.

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a job?  Try:
Check out the REVISED Got Links, your one-stop portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414  Updated 02/14/02